Safeguarding is everyone's business
Help us protect children (under 18 years old) and vulnerable adults (people over 18 who have a care and support need and are at risk).
If you have a concern about someone you think might be at risk, please report it via or customer contact team on 020 354 5500 and they will direct you to the most appropriate person within Octavia to deal with the matter. Please be assured your reported concern will be handled sensitively, in line with our safeguarding policies.
Our approach to protecting vulnerable adults and children at risk of abuse or neglect
All Octavia residents and people who use our services have the right to life safe from harm and abuse. We recognise that some of residents and service users are adults (aged 18 or over), with a need for care and support, or children (under the age of 18), who may be at risk of abuse or neglect.
'Safeguarding' is a term that refers to the process of protecting vulnerable adults and children from harm. This includes all procedures designed to prevent harm.
'Abuse' is any form of physical, emotional, financial or sexual mistreatment or neglect that leads to injury or harm. Other types of abuse include institutional abuse, discriminatory abuse and modern slavery or exploitation.
How we keep people safe
Abuse may be intentional or unintentional (for example neglect from a family carer who can’t cope). Whether it is intentional or not, with all reports of abuse we will take appropriate action to safeguard the adult or child concerned.
We have put in place preventative measures to help keep people safe. We will report all allegations of abuse to the relevant authorities and we will work with partner agencies to stop abuse where it occurs and put the right support in place for the individual concerned.
We ensure that:
- All Octavia employees and volunteers are trained to recognise signs of abuse
- Suspected or allegations of abuse are reported quickly
- Reports of abuse are listened to and acted on, with respect to the adult concerned and their family, including providing any support needed for the adult concerned
- We work closely with investigating and support agencies to protect people who have experienced abuse from further abuse
For more information about how we protect people who live in our homes and use our services from abuse, see our safeguarding policies:
- Safeguarding – protecting adults at risk of abuse policy
- Safeguarding – protecting children from abuse policy
If you have concerns that an Octavia resident or service user is experiencing abuse, report your concerns to us on 0208 354 5500 or email us on email@example.com.