Our adaptations service is designed to help Octavia tenants to stay safe at home and continue living independently. The service is available to residents living in our general needs properties as well as in our extra care housing, sheltered housing and supported housing.
For some residents, quite small changes can make a big difference to their everyday lives. Minor adaptations include things like:
- fitting an alarm-call system so that you can call for help in an emergency
- fitting hand rails or grab rails to offer you support
- adapting your shower, for example by adding a seat
- raising your toilet to make it easier to use
- removing trip hazards, installing a stair gate, or putting protective edges around your home to make it safer
- providing you with storage space or recharging facilities for your wheelchair
- moving light switches or your central heating thermostat
- improving the lighting if you have a visual impairment
- installing a warning system if you have a hearing impairment
- improving your door-entry system or doorbell
- fitting lever taps if you find normal ones difficult to turn
- making small changes to windows, doors and locals so that they are easier and safer to use
- making it easier for you to get to any storage spaces.
Sometimes residents need bigger, more expensive changes made to their homes. Major adaptations some time to organise and include things like:
- improving access to your home, for example by constructing a ramp
- fitting a level-access or over-bath shower
- installing a stairlift or a lift that rises through a floor
- making your home wheelchair accessible
- fitting a changing stretcher or ceiling hoist.
How the adaptations process works
The first step is for our adaptations coordinator to discuss your needs with you on the phone. Depending on how complex your needs are they may refer you to an occupational therapist for an assessment or to our support service so they can visit you at home to assess the most suitable option for you. Whether this is to have a major or minor adaptation, repairing an existing adaptation or rehousing to a more suitable property.
Before going ahead with a major adaptation, we have to get a report on your needs from a local occupational therapist. To help us fund the major adaptation, wherever possible we will apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local authority on your behalf. We aim to complete major adaptations within 14 weeks of getting agreement from the local authority on funding. If a minor adaptation is required these will be carried out within 15 days of your request.
If it is not possible for us to provide the adaptation you want, for example because of structural reasons to do with the property, or because the occupational therapist does not agree that you need the adaptation, then we will contact you.
Contact us about an adaptation to your home
If you would like to talk to us about having an adaptation made to your home, please contact us using the details here and ask for out adaptations coordinator.